Our Calendar

Friday, August 22, 2008

TRIBUTE TO MY AUNT


I just returned from the memorial service in Leakey, TX for my dear Aunt Wanda. I have been privileged and blessed to know many incredible people in my life, and Aunt Wanda was one of the most positive infuences I have had the honor to love.

My sisters and I spent a week at her house in New Mexico every summer, and we spent quite a few Christmases there as well. Aunt Wanda and Uncle Bill's house smelled like love. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up, so I learned to bake bread, can homegrown vegetables, sew, raise chickens (we even got Arucanas like the Davises had). But I quickly figured out that while those skills were an important part of who Aunt Wanda was, it was her deep and abiding love for the Lord that made her so special.


Many people gave testimony to Aunt Wanda's character, and they were consistent in their assesment that what always motivated her was a desire to serve others, and not herself. She was one of the most diligent, consistent people I know. One friend stated that he "never saw Wanda get in a hurry, but he never saw her stopped either." She was constantly serving, smiling, singing.

A favorite memory is of an early summer at their home. We mentioned that we had never been camping and wanted to go. Immediately, a trip was planned for the mountains. We left the next day after Aunt Wanda stayed up packing and sewing all three of us a set of pants and long sleeved shirts (we had only brought shorts and the mountains were cool). It was a fantastic trip with Uncle Bill's hot chocolate around the campfire in the early morning mist, breathtaking views on long hikes, singing both sacred and silly songs, and gentle, loving encouragement to see God's hand. They did everything with that same desire to serve and bless others, sharing the beauty and love of the Lord. Thank you Aunt Wanda and Uncle Bill ! !
Posted by Picasa

No comments: