Our Calendar

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

JOSIAH'S SIXTEENTH BIRTHDAY



Time flies by so quickly . . . Josiah was the sweetest, most agreeable, easy going baby . . . and now he has a driver's license! He's still a pretty agreeable, easy going guy, but not nearly as easy to cuddle on my lap!!


It's always interesting to see what each child requests for their birthday meals. Josiah wanted roast with all the trimmings, and potato salad. I thought it was a strange combination, but I think each one of the boys complimented the potato salad. (I guess I'm not as good at meal planning as I thought.) Although, some of the guys would have a seven course meal of all carbs if they had their way!!


FerroFluid, part of Josiah Birthday gift of a set of rare earth magnets, which have some pretty amazing attributes. Ferrofluid makes some fascinating designs when a magnet is placed nearby.


Ferrofluids are tiny iron particles covered with a liquid coating, also surfactant that are then added to water or oil, which gives them their liquid properties. Ferrofluids are colloidal suspensions -- materials with properties of more than one state of matter. In this case, the two states of matter are the solid metal and liquid it is in. This ability to change phases with the application of a magnetic field allows them to be used as seals, lubricants, and may open up further applications in future nanoelectromechanical systems.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well you beat me to it Josiah - I'm just now working on getting my learner's permit! :-)

Happy birthday!