Our Calendar

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

ONE YEAR TODAY

It has been one year since a beautiful soul, Amy Martin Wilhoite, departed from this short pilgrimage to her eternal home. Those of us still making the journey miss her. Our prayers are with her husband, son, parents, siblings, and friends.


As Amy battled leukemia, she was a tremendous blessing and encouragement to multitudes through her blog LivingwithLeukemia
The day of her homegoing, there were over 400 comments on her blog, a testimony to how many lives she had touched from her hospital room. Her blog still inspires and convicts me. I have included a quote from her very first post, and her very last. We love you Amy.

Monday, July 3rd, 2006

Sunday morning four doctors, two medical students and two nurses filed into my room, and I knew. They were led by the head oncologist, Dr. Perry. He told me they had reviewed my blood smears and at the time they knew I had acute leukemia, but would not be sure of the type until they performed a bone marrow biopsy. I don't think there is a way to put in writing how such a diagnosis hits you, I was silent except for a few questions and tears while they were in the room, afterwards I broke down in my husband's arms and we both sobbed. Somewhere in the midst of all of the emotions I had an overwhelming sense of peace. Ever since the Urgent Care doctor had called, the song "Blessed be Your Name" had been running through my head. "Blessed be Your name, when the path's marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name." I told Brandon, "The Lord gives, and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord." In the midst of everything known and yet unknown, all I could know is that He had me. I wasn't anywhere I wasn't supposed to be, this was the path I had been called to, and He wouldn't give me more than I could bear.


Thursday, August 30, 2007

" 'The work which His goodness began,
the arm of His strength will complete;
His promise is Yea and Amen,
and never was forfeited yet.
Things future, nor things that are now,
nor all things below or above,
Can make Him His purpose forgo,
or sever my soul from His love.'
- A Debtor to Mercy Alone
Augustus Toplady"

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Kim, for the precious tribute. We miss our girl but the Lord was faithful to get us through the day. Thank you for all your prayers for our family.
Anita

Rachel said...

I appreciate your post about Amy. Candace and I blogged as well...she's on all of our minds and hearts today. How I miss her.

Rachel D said...

I blogged as well...but it's on my "church" blog and the people who read didn't know Amy (although they prayed for her and her family during her battle.)

As I'm surrounded by people to whom Amy is a name and picture, it's so nice to read the posts of others who know and love her.

Anonymous said...

I think that Amy may have been one of the most influential people in my life.

How perfectly she must have fulfilled God's calling on her life. I wonder what it was like when she heard the words "Well done, my daughter"?